Re: Exhausted by P3V4X+Maxtor harddisk.... looking for ata100 stuff... suggestion?

newer VIA ide chipsets seem flaky with linux. i have
a Epox MVP3G5(Super7) and it runs perfect. but once i upgraded
to a p3 ...ide started getting whacked bad.  now the hd
could be going too, but if i were you i'd go out and get
a promise ide ata66 or ata100 controller for that machine
and see if that helps. it has done wonders for both of my
VIA based systems at home, and im about to install one at
work once i break down and reboot(74 days and counting..
sucks to lose that much uptime). the promise controllers
are cheap .. US$30-40/each new for OEM parts.
as for transfer rates i don't use hdparm to judge it
i use bonnie or bonnie++. i think hdparm may just test
the drive itself, which can be misleading once you
start testing it at the filesystem level ..not that
it matters to me though i want a reliable system, speed
is ranked 3rd or 4th on my list.

i use the ata100 card from promise btw(not the raid one
though)

good luck.

nate