Re: regarding swap space

I guess I look like a fool now...  Oh well, it wouldn't be the first time.

I looked at the manpage, and it actually DOES hurt to have too much swap
space:

       Note that before 2.1.117 the kernel allocated one byte for
       each  page, while it now allocates two bytes, so that tak?
       ing a swap area of 2 GiB in use might  require  2  MiB  of
       kernel memory.

Also:

       The maximum useful size of a swap area now depends on the architecture.
       It is roughly  2GiB on  i386,  PPC,  m68k, ARM, 1GiB on sparc, 512MiB
       on mips, 128GiB on alpha and 3TiB on sparc64.

(Note: MiB stands for 10^6 bytes, rather than MB which can stand for 10^6 or
2^20 bytes.)

So I guess there is a 2GB max on ix86 machines.  :-( (tm)

HG AYBABTU!

--
Dwayne C. Litzenberger - dlitz@dlitz.net