Re: Partitioning prior to dual boot installation of Debian and Windows ME

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 12:04:25PM -0400, Brian Nelson wrote:
> Yeah, DOS fdisk is unsurprisingly a steaming pile of crap.  If you
> must partition your drive before installing Debian, use something like
> PQ Magic.  It can even format ext2 partitions for you...
No proporietary PQ Magic here please :-)
> Personally, I'd make a Debian boot floppy, boot that, and use linux's
> fdisk...

Agreed to some extent.  Since windows are stupid, it sometimes does not
recognize properly made partitions by Linux.  So best way is install
Windows into a partition made with windows fdisk.  Make sure there are
unused disk space after windows install.  Then use Debian boot disk to
partition the rest of spaces with multiple partitions.  There is no 1024
limit for lilo if new BIOS and lba32 lilo option are enabled.  You root
partition can even be at /dev/hda12.

For fussy OS, I might try following.

/dev/hda (put windows fdisk initially, replace it with debian mbr)
/dev/hda1 windows system (FAT16)
/dev/hda2 extended partition, put lilo boot sector (Safe here)
/dev/hda5 install windows data (FAT32)
/dev/hda6 linux root
/dev/hda7 linux swap

If you are newbie, maybe Karstens schime may be too complicated.
Just have giant 2-3 MB partition for root and install everything there
may be easier.  Oh, I use Karsten like multi-partition and like it that
way.

Debian's decision to put lilo idirectly into /dev/hda as default was
from security concern after long flame war for security.  It used to be
mbr at one point.  If you only have console access like many syastem and
multibooting with stupid OS, it is safer to put lilo into somewhere like
/dev/hda2 so it does not get onverwritten, IMHO.

See http://www.aokiconsulting.com/quick/ch3.html#s3.1 for booting system
after having troble.
--
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D  +