Re: Partitioning prior to dual boot installation of Debian and Windows ME

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 04:29:50PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 08:13:31AM -0700, Abner Gershon wrote:
> > ... Also in Karsten Self's
> > mini-FAQ on partitioning he refers to creating 3
> > primary and 1 logical partitions. Using fdisk I was
> > only able to create one primary and one extended
> > partition per hard drive. Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Probably using the fdisk in dos/windoze. That's not inherantly wrong,
> you just have to realise it's limitations, and the fact that an
> extended partition is not the same as a logical one. You can have up to
> 4 primary partitions on a hard drive (although dos fdisk can only handle
> one), one of which may be an extended partition. In this extended partition
> you may create loads of logical partitions (I think there's a limit of 256
> or something equally high...).
>
> Either go back and look through fdisk carefully, or wait until you are
> installing debian, and use cfdisk (part of the install process) to finish
> partitioning.

Yeah, DOS fdisk is unsurprisingly a steaming pile of crap.  If you
must partition your drive before installing Debian, use something like
PQ Magic.  It can even format ext2 partitions for you...

Personally, I'd make a Debian boot floppy, boot that, and use linux's
fdisk...

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>