Ghostscript hanging when printing from Kmail

I'm running a Woody system.  I'm not sure when the problem started,
but at some point I stopped being able to print from Kmail.  The CPU
gets pinned and I notice a "gs" process that never exits.  Of course
the printer (HP LaserJet 4L) doesn't even blink.  If I kill "gs"
(have to be root) the CPU calms down.

I assume that some Ghostscript configuration entry got zapped
somewhere along the line.  But I don't know where to look.  My guess
is that the wrong command-line arguments are specified to "gs", and
maybe it's waiting for input, or something (?).

TIA,
Steve

  Steve Cooper                     Redmond, WA

  (For witty remark see attached microdot->.)