From: Brandon High [mailto:armitage@freaks.com]
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2001 10:21 PM
To: Michael Earls
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: closeing open ports

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 01:13:07AM -0700, Michael Earls wrote:
> What file do i need to edit to close open ports,
>
> ex, port 111 /tcp sunrpc
>             515/ tcp printer
>             2000/ tcp callback

Install and configure ipchains. There are various firewall packages that you
can configure on top of ipchains as well to provide more monitoring.

Ideally have minimal ports open. My gateway box has only 5 ports open for
misc sevices such as http and ssh.

-B

--
Brandon High                                     armitage@freaks.com
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again; it was probably