Re: How to prevent "add plugins" prompts in Mozilla

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> on Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 05:36:23PM -0500, Kent West (westk@acu.edu) wrote:
> > For months off-and-on I've tried to add Java and/or Flash to Mozilla.
> > Nothing I've done seems to work.
>
> I've got something of the reverse situation.
>
> I *don't* like plugins.  A browser is a browser.  Embedding world+dog
> into it is broken fscking design.  If someone has a freestanding Flash
> viewer, I might be interested in launching a flash animation to it on
> the very rare occasion (Death of StickDeath is about the only compelling
> Flash I've seen period).
>
> Otherwise, I neither want Flash in my browser nor want to be told "this
> site uses Flash, click to download plugin" (which doesn't work anyway).
> How to disable plugin reminders -- flash or otherwise?

I think there are two things you need to do, one is to open Netscape
and open the preferences dialog under the Edit menu,
go to Navigator --> Applications. One of the applications is the
default plugin */* - delete it.

Then edit the file ~/.netscape/plugin-list AFTER you've exited
Netscape and remove these three lines:

/usr/lib/netscape/476/communicator/plugins/libnullplugin.so 970875501 *: .*:All
types;
pluginName=Netscape Default Plugin
pluginDescription=The default plugin handles plugin data for mimetypes and exten
sions that are not specified and facilitates downloading of new plugins.

Note that you'll still be prompted because it can't find a plugin
for that mime-type...however, instead of deleting the null plugin
altogether, you might be able to figure out a shell script or something
that redirects that to /dev/null...

(If anyone does this, please share it with the list! I also hate the
plague of plugins that have corrupted the Web...)

Take care,

Zonker

--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier@earthlink.net