Re: How to add plugins to Mozilla

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 05:36:23PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> > For months off-and-on I've tried to add Java and/or Flash to Mozilla.
> > Nothing I've done seems to work.
> >
> > I'm currently running Mozilla Build ID: 2001032614.
>
> i am running the 0.8.1 packages from Kitame's site.
>

> > Can anyone tell me how to get plugins to be recognized by Mozilla?

[...]

> i then reran the mozilla postinst for good measure, though i don't
> think thats actually necessary for plugins, just componants and
> chrome.  just run:
>
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/mozilla.postinst
>
> as root.
>
> the plugin works fine.  i do not run mozilla as root either ;-)
>
> perhaps the plugins your using are simply incompatible with mozilla?
> try the Free flash plugin instead of the proprietary one.

I've copied the same plugin that worked with communicator so they work with mozilla
(i'm using the 0.7-0progeny1), at least with the i386 architecture. I would like to
try the free software one, especially with the couple of mac (a cube and a
powerbook g3) where i've installed debian (thanks to Ethan's docs)...

I think a search on freshmeat will do the trick =)

> i do wish mozilla would look for plugins in
> /usr/local/lib/mozilla/plugins so non-packaged plugins can be dropped
> there, All your /usr/lib are belong to dpkg afterall... this works for
> netscape i have the same plugin installed for netscape at
> /usr/local/lib/netscape/plugins. (using debian netscape packages).

Even if this is not the best solution, communicator looks for plugins in the
~/.netscape dir, but until now i was not able to replicate the behaviour with
mozilla...

Andrea