Problem with SBLive Platinum 5.1 partially solved

Hi,

Thanks to you who took your time to answer my previous post.

It turned out that sound was working after all, just not as I
expected. First thing that threw me off track was that /dev/sndstat
didn't respond. It has been suggested that this device is obsoleted
and I would like to know if anyone has more info on this. It works on
another 2.2.19 machine I have here but that machine has a OSS driver
(kernel, not commercial). Is that why?

Another thing that is different from my last soundcard struggle is
that cat-ing a file to /dev/dsp does not produce an awful noise. I'm
not sure which kernel I was running back then but I believe it was an
early 2.2 version. I have checked both my sound-enabled machines (both
running 2.2.19) and it doesn't work on neither one. When did this change?

Or is my memory really that bad? ;-)

TIA

        /Anton
--