Re: Shutting down as a user

Quoting francisco m . neto (einstein@socrates.if.usp.br):

> 	I suggest a different approach. Still lon /etc/inittab, you
> can put another entry, for the keyboard request:
>
> kb::kbrequest:/sbin/shutdown -h -a -t0 now
>
> 	The '-a' option tells shutdown to use an authorization file
> at /etc/shutdown.allow. In this file, you put the usernames you want
> to be allowed to reboot/halt the machine.
> 	When logged in, press Alt+<UpArrow> to halt the system with
> the Keyboard Request.

Think hard before you actually do that. Alt+<UpArrow> is a
key combination that is very easily struck. (Of course, it's
also one that your fingers may be wired for if, like me, you
navigate your virtual destops with it.) By all means try it
if you never seriously use VCs.

For the benefit of the original poster:

If you're worried that Ctl-Alt-Del reboots, then change -r to -h
in the /etc/inittab entry for Ctl-Alt-Del.

If you're worried that it halts but doesn't power off, then compile
a kernel with APM enabled and "Power of on Shutdown" selected.

Cheers,