Why is xdm slow to start?

Dave Whiteley writes:
 > I asked this question a short time ago, but with a (probably)
 > unhelpful subject header. I will try again.
 >
 > Can anyone give me a clue as to why xdm is very slow to start X
 > windowing. I have been using xdm for some time. Recent upgrades (to
 > testing?) seem to have changed its startup performance.

I has a similar story:

Yesterday, I upgrade an intel box with woody. To mey display, gdm
cease to work. Lauching /etc/init.d/gdm start, nothing seem to happens
except a message "starting gdm" and if I switch to vt6, I see an x
cursor. After scratching my head for one hour, I decide to throw away
gdm and install xdm in place. Just the same, nothing happens after
launching /etc/init.d/xdm start, but when I was about to give up,
suddenly X start giving me a login console. In desperation, I
subscribe and write to debian-user@lists.debian.org and some one told
me that

<<I also had this problem when I upgraded to X4.
I can't remember exactly what I did, but I think I changed
DisplayManager*authorize:  from true to false in /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config>>

Since I wasn't using xdm, I havent't try this, but you may. Further, I
just have the idea of downloading the old gdm pacckage in potato and
installing it: it works ! You may try this too (installing the old xdm)

By the way, I don't have such problem on another machine running
XFree-3.3.6, so I susdpect the problem come from X4 too. For all what
people say and the fact that XFree-3.3.6  is no longer availmable in
woody, X4 is *not* stable yet.

--
PHAM Dinh Tuan                         | e-mail: Dinh-Tuan.Pham@imag.fr
Laboratoire de Modelisation et Calcul  | Tel: +33 4 76 51 44 23