Re: samba + netatalk

Liam Ward wrote:

> I wonder if anyone has any experience of something like this...
>
> Our office has a mixture of Windows and MacOS desktops. Packages to
> allow the Macs to talk to the PCs are expensive ($150 per machine) so
> I'm thinking of getting an old PC, putting Debian on it and setting
> up shared disk space using Samba and Appletalk (netatalk)
> simultaneously.
>
> If anyone knows of any pitfalls before I start into this I'd
> appreciate some pointers.

i found a nice one when i had to do the same thing:

if you connect your mac to the debian box fia tcp, everything is fine.

if you want the shared directory to appear when you browse the network
on the map, it works for a while after the netatalk daemons start, then
the shared stuff disappears!

the workaround i found (with a LOT of trials - a F%&@£*G LOT) is to
switch off and back on the promiscuous mode of the nic every minute.

that's what i have in my root crontab:

0 * * * * /sbin/ifconfig eth0 -promisc && /sbin/ifconfig eth0 promisc

btw, this happened since i switched from slink (kernel 2.0.38) to potato
(kernel 2.2.17)

anyone else noticed?

furthermore, i wasn't able to get the macs on a different ethernet to
talk via ddp with the debian box (the router is a debian box too, with
netatalk installed) but maybe it's just because i don't know really
anything about ddp...

again, everything is fine if you use tcp!

is there a netatalk guru out there? or a FM i can R? :-)

pietro.

P.S - sorry for the personal mail, liam - i keep hitting the wrong
buttons...