Re: samba + netatalk

liam...

on a motivational note, i didn't know a dern thing about
either of these cool apps. so, like you, i needed a cheap
machine to set them up on. i begged and pleaded with my
roomate to let me HAVE his old pentium 200 since he was on
his fancy new G4 now. he agreed and within a week of
reading and studying, i got both SAMBA and netatalk up and
running with no problems as of yet. i think the big thing
is configuring both services. the previous gentleman
referred to the sync writing error which could be a
headache...and i do believe he's right about the netatalk
team doing something about that in the next version. COOL!

in the meantime, if you can find a cheap machine, NETMAX
makes some pretty cool stuff for file and print sharing and
the like. so far, it's the ONLY 'proprietary' stuff i'd
use. it's not too shabby and not too expensive. it let's
you set up shares real quick and clean. all browser based.
it's nice to configure stuff by hand, but if you need
something 'fast', NETMAX might cut it for you. a lotta
linux guys would prolly like to strangle me for telling you
to use NETMAX...

i don't give a damn. if it works, use it.

unless of course, you can convince your whole office to use
debian.  :)

good luck and cheers to the swirl...

--

+-----