Can't locate module nls_iso8859-1

Ever since I've rolled my own kernel, I've got this message on bootup
that's been bugging the hell outta me.

When mounting some vfat partitions on bootup, I repeatedly get a
message that's something like:
modprobe: can't locate module nls_iso8859-1

However, the partitions seem to work fine.  I don't know anything
about nls and why modprobe is trying to load that module.  I can't
find anything about nls in the kernel config except an option "Use
a default NLS", which I have set to 'n'.  The help in the config seems
to say the option is for smbmount but isn't supported by samba yet.
Weird.

I do have an smbmount in fstab, but that doesn't seem to be the
problem.

Can anyone clue me in to what's going on?

Thanks.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>