Re: VMware

"Elfert" <elfert@telus.net> wrote:
>VMware works fine under root but for some reason refuses to work under
>another user.  It keeps on insisting that it doesn't have permission
>even though every file - windows.cfg, windows.dsk, windows.log,
>windows.nvram has definitely been set rwx.  The path is also undoubtedly
>correct.

/usr/local/bin/vmware (or wherever) needs to be setuid root, as quite a
lot of what it does requires root privileges. Make it executable only by
members of a particular group if you like.

>VMware does not yet, for some reason, certify or support Debian/Progeny
>as a host Linux Dist.so I have been reluctant to approach them yet even
>though our VMware is bought and paid for.

In the case of Debian, maybe that's just because there's no-one to form
a strategic marketing alliance with or whatever? :) The vmware.*
newsgroups on news.vmware.com will probably be quite helpful no matter
what distribution you're running.