userdb with courier-imap

I am not having any luck getting courier-imap's user
authentication to work.  Is there some trick?  I did the
following:
1.) Set the appropriate fields in /etc/userdb, which has the
    right permissions (600).  I set imappw and systempw, separately
    and together at different times.  Ran makeuserdb.
2.) Set AUTHLIBMODULES in /etc/courier-imap.config to
    "authcram authuserdb" deleting authldap, authmysql and
    authpam.
3.) Started up the imap deamon.
But mutt still cannot log in.  When I put authpam in the
AUTHLIBMODULES list, I can use my system password, but I
don't want that.  I want a separate imap password and system
password.

TIA.
--
Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est.
bill.white@griggsinst.org                 Griggs Research Institute