Re: Lilo problem after kernel reinstall: LIL-

On Thursday 26 April 2001 12:14, Tiarnan O'Corrain wrote:
> I recompiled my kernel 2.4.2, and did all of the System.map,
> vmlinuz copying, then ran LILO (which seemed quite happy).
> However, when I boot the computer, I get the following prompt,
> after which it freezes:
>   LIL-
>
> Any ideas about this? I have more than one kernel on the system,
> so it seems to me that the problem is with the boot block LILO
> writes. Any quick and dirty means of getting around this, or am
> I condemned to rescue disks?

From /usr/share/doc/lilo/Manual.gz:
   LIL-   The descriptor table is corrupt. This can either be caused by a
    geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/map without running the map
    installer.

If you just ran lilo before rebooting then the only way that /boot/map could
have been corrupted is if you were running 2.4.1 (a file-system eating
kernel).

Another issue is geometry.  But without knowing a lot more about your machine
I can't advise on that.

Probably the easiest thing to do is to use another machine to compile a
kernel with the driver for your hard drive and do the following:
cat vmlinuz > /dev/fd0
rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/hda1

Replace /dev/hda1 with whatever your root device is.

Then boot the machine from that disk and it'll hopefully work to a stage that
allows you to fix the problem!