SSH-1.2.3-9.3 Building from source package.

I'm trying to build ssh-1.2.3-9.3 from a souce package on a Potato
box. (Reasons for using source package are optimization, control over
./configure flags, etc). The box is to be used for server applications,
and does not have X or GNOME libraries, which the build process is looking
for.  ./debian/rules works but ./debian/rules binary fails. I've attempted
to modify debian/rules to not build the Perl TK and GNOME ssh-askpass
components, but the build process still fails when not finding them. I was
told to remove the gnome-ssh-askpass and ptk-ssh-askpass entries from
debian/control but this results in "I have no packages to build" errors
when I try to ./debian/rules binary. Any advice on building ssh-1.2.3-9.3
without the GNOME and Perl TK components would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if I'm sending this to the wrong list.

-Emerson Farrugia