Re: debian newbie "tip-of-the-day" signature script

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 02:43:25PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 02:45:01PM -0500, will trillich (will@serensoft.com) wrote:
> > when i quote an email in a reply, i scroll down until i get to
> > the not-so-pertinent part, and in vim i do
> >
> > 	dG
> >
> > to obliterate everything "from here to end-of-file".
>
> This is as it should be.
>
> Also...postfix responses, ensuring quotes are attributed accurately,
> snipping extraneous content.

let me translate for the native-english speakers, what mr. self
(whose native tongue is "barb") means to say here:

	when you email a reply to a question such as

		what is the meaning of life, the universe and everything?

	you should of course quote the relevant part of the email in
	your response, so that everyone -- including the asker who's
	possibly forgotten his original question within moments of
	posting it -- will know what you're replying to:

		> what is the meaning of life, the universe, and
		> everything?

	most email programs do this automatically when you initiate a
	"reply" and the rest allow you to do it with a click or a
	keystroke.

	karsten, with his "postfix" vocabulary, is NOT talking about
	a software package in this case -- here, he correctly means
	"put your bloomin' answer AFTER the question you're
	addressing." such as

		> what is the meaning of life, the universe, and
		> everything?
		42, of course. (duh!)

	see, now that makes perfect sense.

	after all, it makes no sense to answer a question before it's
	asked, right? so DO NOT PREFIX QUOTED EMAIL with your reply.
	don't be a goober. prefixing a question with the answer is
	bad manners.

		42.
		> what is the meaning of life, the universe, and
		> everything?

	42 what? hello? is this thing on?

	always put your reply AFTER the paragraph or sentence you're
	responding to.

	that's called "postfix" notation, boys and girls. it's good
	manners, and shows you're willing to put some effort in being
	understood.

> I'll just dump sufficiently fuxnored posts -- too much work to get my
> mind around them.  All are advised.

fuxnored is another term for another time. (it'll have to be -- i
just now encountered it for the first time myself, and am
enjoying it far too much to be believed.)

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #1 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>:
Looking to use your Debian machine as a FIREWALL? No problem!
Try "apt-get install ipmasq"... After you've got your
/etc/network/interfaces file set up properly, ipmasq will
save you lots of work, setting up firewall and routing
tables automatically.