mutt and random/piped signatures... ?

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 01:01:50AM -0300, John R Lenton wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 10:32:43AM -0500, will trillich wrote:
> > [ ... about fiddling with mutt to get fancy signatures ...]
>
> What I'd really like (and implement if I had the time) is for
> mutt to have an option to check on startup if .signature is a
> pipe, and if so to write into it the header of the email before
> reading the sig (mutt has some idea of to:, cc:, and subject:
> headers *before* reading the sig).

	> kill the fly
	with what?
	> axe
	which axe -- the eensy-weensy micro-axe, or the dual-exhaust,
	chrome-plated, twin-overhead-cam, thermonuclear powered
	planet-smashing axe?
	> thermo
	the fly expires.

but hey, if you wanna add a feature, may as well make it really
feature-rich, eh? :)

> Thus a small modification of the one sig program makes it spew
> content-specific signatures :)
>
> hmm. take that back. If I have to open .signature O_RDWR the
> select() call goes crazy :(.
>
> Ok, so have two pipes, a .signature-ctl and a .signature, and
> have mutt check in... erm...
>
> ...have a listener on port N...
>
> ...on a central server....
>
> ...connected to a postgres database.

i think you could do much of this via *-hook in mutt:

	send-hook debian- "~/.sig debian |"

but it would be nice to do procmail-like stuff, such as

	send-hook (%LISTADDRESS?%) "~/.sig $_TO $_SUBJECT |"

or

	send-hook debian-\/.* "~/.sig debian $MATCH |"

any mutt-freaks out there who have some ideas?

> Ok, so this has gotten out of hand. More coffee, please.

way.

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #25 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>:
Did you know you have MORE THAN ONE CONSOLE to use? There's six,
by default: try Control-Alt-F6 to see console six, Ctl-Alt-F3 for
console 3, and so forth. (If you don't use the X window display
system, you don't need to include the control key.) Each console
can have its own login, running its own jobs. Very handy!