Re: Getting package from "testing" for potato

Mike Fedyk wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 12:18:46PM +1000, Mark wrote:
> > OK, I still don't understand how to do this properly.
> >
> > I am running a 2.4.3 kernel on potato using Adrian Bunk's extra packages
> > for 2.4.x kernels.
> >
> > Lets say I need the package hotplug (which allows me to setup my usb
> > cdrw).
> >
> > Now do I do the following to get this:
> >
> > 1.  Change my sources.list to contain this:
> > deb-src http://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian testing  main contrib
> > non-free
> >
> > 2.  Type:
> > apt-get update
> > apt-get source --build hotplug
> >
> > Is this how to do it?
> >
> Yes, and if you get errors, make sure you have all of the build-depends
> installed.

I can't seem to figure out what the build-depends are.  I tried doing "apt-cache
show hotplug", but it can't find it because I only have deb-src pointing to
testing.  (The rest is pointing to stable and Adrian Bunk's stuff).

How do I use apt-cache to find out about source packages?

And I still have further questions:

When testing becomes stable later will it automatically upgrade to that version
of hotplug over my compiled version when I do an "apt-get dist-upgrade"?

Also, where does it put the source package and the compiled stuff if I do it
this way?

And how would I remove it later if I need to do this?  Would "apt-get remove
hotplug" work for that?

Sorry that I can't work this out from the man pages.

Thanks for help.

Mark.