Re: networking 2 pcs

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 05:24:09PM -0500, john connolly wrote:
> I have  two pcs connected by a crossover cable. Both have their nics
> appropriately configured, (to 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2, resp). I
> cannot
> get them to ping each other. I think the problem is that the telnetd
> service
> is shut off in both of them.

No, that most definitely is not related.  ping and telnet don't even use
the same protocol (ICMP vs. TCP).  My guess is that one or both of the
systems is trying to do a reverse DNS lookup on the other when you
try to ping.  Add an entry for each of the hosts in /etc/hosts (on both
machines).  Then check /etc/nsswitch.conf to be sure that the "hosts"
line looks like this:
hosts:          files dns

> installed--I can't find it anyway. When I do apt-get install
> /cdrom.../telnetd...
> I get the message that the telnetd package can't be found, even if I
> give the entire path the file as found with the find command. I have
> tried it
> with and without the .deb suffix.

Apt-get does not work on individual files.  If you have a single .deb
that you wish to install use dpkg (e.g. 'dpkg -i telnetd.deb').  Or,
assuming you have /etc/apt/sources.list set up correctly, just run
'apt-get install telnetd'.  I don't know what a souces.list entry should
look like for cdrom access, as all my installation are done via network.
You should probably read 'man 5 sources.list' which will document that
file.  man apt-get might help you too.

noah