X forwarding over SSH

hi.

i thought it was a generic problem but it seems more
application specific. I've been playing with it for
the past few hours.

I'm trying to load netscape through a SSH tunnel off
a solaris 7 machine. through my trials ive reconfigured
and recompiled ssh on the solaris machine about 6-7
times now, and installed a newer version of openssh
in /usr/local/openssh on the debian client machine.

finally i tried something other then netscape and
it loaded fine(i tried xclock and admintool). I
can load netscape off a machine at home running
debian, i exited out of my netscape here(4.76)
before attempting to load but it still refuses
to load(error is below). is there something in X
or in netscape that would prevent certain X apps
from being tunneled?

there are some times when i need netscape to run
on the remote host(especially when doing stuff
on sun.com, some of the download links i encounter
don't do anything on netscape/linux). id like to
avoid export DISPLAY= but unless i can fix that
thats the only way i can get X.

error i get is:
% netscape
debug: Received X11 open request.
debug: channel 0: new [X11 connection from 192.168.50.17 port 35705]
debug: X11 connection uses different authentication protocol.

debug: X11 rejected 0 i1/o16
debug: channel 0: INPUT_OPEN -> INPUT_WAIT_DRAIN [read failed]
debug: channel 0: shutdown_read
debug: channel 0: OUTPUT_OPEN -> OUTPUT_WAIT_IEOF [write failed]
debug: channel 0: shutdown_write
debug: X11 rejected 0 i2/o64
debug: channel 0: INPUT_WAIT_DRAIN -> INPUT_WAIT_OCLOSE [inbuf empty, send
IEOF]debug: channel 0: OUTPUT_WAIT_IEOF -> OUTPUT_CLOSED [rvcd IEOF]
debug: channel 0: INPUT_WAIT_OCLOSE -> INPUT_CLOSED [rcvd OCLOSE]
debug: channel 0: full closed
X connection to 192.168.50.17:12.0 broken (explicit kill or server
shutdown).
debug: Received X11 open request.
debug: channel 0: new [X11 connection from 192.168.50.17 port 35706]
debug: X11 connection uses different authentication protocol.
debug: X11 rejected 0 i1/o16
debug: channel 0: INPUT_OPEN -> INPUT_WAIT_DRAIN [read failed]
debug: channel 0: shutdown_read
debug: channel 0: OUTPUT_OPEN -> OUTPUT_WAIT_IEOF [write failed]
debug: channel 0: shutdown_write
debug: X11 rejected 0 i2/o64
debug: channel 0: INPUT_WAIT_DRAIN -> INPUT_WAIT_OCLOSE [inbuf empty, send
IEOF]debug: channel 0: OUTPUT_WAIT_IEOF -> OUTPUT_CLOSED [rvcd IEOF]
debug: channel 0: INPUT_WAIT_OCLOSE -> INPUT_CLOSED [rcvd OCLOSE]
debug: channel 0: full closed
X connection to 192.168.50.17:12.0 broken (explicit kill or server
shutdown).

when i load something like xclock i get:
% xclock
debug: Received X11 open request.
debug: channel 0: new [X11 connection from 192.168.50.17 port 35708]
debug: channel 0: OUTPUT_OPEN -> OUTPUT_WAIT_DRAIN [rvcd IEOF]
debug: channel 0: OUTPUT_WAIT_DRAIN -> OUTPUT_CLOSED [obuf empty, send
OCLOSE]
debug: channel 0: shutdown_write
debug: channel 0: INPUT_OPEN -> INPUT_WAIT_DRAIN [read failed]
debug: channel 0: shutdown_read
debug: channel 0: INPUT_WAIT_DRAIN -> INPUT_WAIT_OCLOSE [inbuf empty, send
IEOF]debug: channel 0: INPUT_WAIT_OCLOSE -> INPUT_CLOSED [rcvd OCLOSE]
debug: channel 0: full closed

it comes up fine, and then i close it, and it exits cleanly.

although theres no real way for me to test this i believe it
happened about the same time i upgraded to debian 2.2r3.
I tried reverting back to the ssh from 2.2r2 but that
didn't help. It says X11 connection rejected, so that
tells me the client is refusing to accept the stream,
so im hoping somebody else that uses the same client
as me might know whats going on :)

nothing on the solaris box had changed(until i noticed the
problem and started playing with it's configuration).

any ideas?

thanks!

nate