ipmasq

I compiled a 2.2.19 kernel because I want to use ipchains and do IP
masquerading.
The ipmasq package description on the debian website says one should enalbe
 CONFIG_FIREWALL, CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL, CONFIG_IP_FORWARD, and
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE.

I couldn't find CONFIG_IP_FORWARD in the kernel compile options. I assumed it
was obsolete and went on.

After installing the kernel and rebooting I installed the ipmasq package from
potato. It printed the following error several times:

Should I start IP Masquerading? [Y/n] y
Initializing IP Masquerading.../sbin/ipchains: invalid mask `' specified
Try `/sbin/ipchains -h' or '/sbin/ipchains --help' for more information.

In between these errors it said IP forwarding is not enabled and I should do
echo 1 /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

The file /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward already contains a "1".

Now I don't know what to do.

I cannot connect to the internet from the other box. It says unknown host.
The internal network runs fine otherwise, and /etc/network/interfaces looks
good. The internet connection on this box that I want to use as gatewaw also
works.

Help would be great.