Re: Tutorial for kernel compiling the Debian way, RFC

On Sunday 22 April 2001 11:26, Jesse Goerz wrote:

> I wrote a basic document intended to help Debian newbies compile custom
> kernels using kernel-package.  I'd really appreciate any and all comments,
> suggestions, additions, subtractions you may have. (constructive
> welcomed, the rest accepted)

I followed the instructions and built a new kernel. Here's what you could
improve:

1.
In the introduction youre saying:
 Whatever kernel version you choose, try and get one that has a different
version then the one you are currently using.

It's not always possible to take a different kernel version than people are
currently using, and it does not make sense to compile a different version
than the one I want (if I want to keep the version) just because there is no
elegant way to tell different kernels with the same version apart.
IIRC you just have to rename or remove the old /lib/modules/<kernel_version>
directory if you install the new kernel. Is that true? If so, you should
explain that instead of making the impression it's not a good idea to compile
a kernel that's the same version as the old one.

2.
Here is something that's not your fault:

showmount --version

does not display soemthing like NFS 2.2beta40

Instead I get:

showmount for nfs-utils 0.1.9.1

You should make a comment for this.

3.
A similar thing:

chsh -v

does not display a version

4.
I didn't find where you say to become root. It does not work as a normal user
for me.

5.
You say:
"We will be using the option --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image..."

For me this looked like "custom.1.0 kernel_image" being the revision name. I
changed that to something else and omitted "kernel_image". I didn't notice it
was the target option for make-kpkg. So it compiled fine but did not produce
a kernel_image deb file.

6.
You say:
"Next, you need to get rid of the symlink you created in the /usr/src
directory."

Is that true? I thought there should always be a kernel-sorce tree in
/usr/src/linux.