Re: <rant> grub <\rant>

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Joost van der Lugt wrote:

*snip*

> > Well, this may be true - but the discussion list exists to help
> > people deal with Debian GNU/Linux AS IT IS, not as you WISH it was.
> > Griping about it DOES NOT HELP. Unless you have a useful suggestion,
> > why not keep it to yourself? "Better documentation, easier to use"
> > is NOT a suggestion - and it's certainly not a new idea.
>
> The list is called debian-user, I tend to think it is very informative
> if someone posts the fact that a package may not work well unless you
> are willing to go through a lot of trouble.

It might be, if a user posts an email with an actual description of
what happened and a full report of the problem. Your "rant" and subsequent
posts hardly qualified. When a few folks tried to find docs for you,
which seemed an appropriate response to the problem you were complaining
about, you just changed the subject and started whining about how it
shouldn't require learning anything to install software.

> Better documentation, easier to use are your words, not mine, I gave
> detailed instructions as to were the bugs were, because yes, any
> software that needs decent documentation to be used, and doesn't provide
> this, I consider _buggy_.
> Just look at the 'newbie' questions, and how good the oldies feel about
> calling them stupid. (example: Re: dpkg: Update failures 04/23/01)

of the problem. It was more, as the subject indicated, of a rant.

Also, I didn't say that it was "stupid" to post a QUESTION. I said it
was USELESS to post a gripe. Also, while it may be a Debian package,
you may want to confer with the Grub developers - they're ultimately
responsible for Grub, and they'd probably like to know if their docs
don't jibe with the actual operation of the program. Did you contact
them?

I don't agree that a package is necessarily buggy when it doesn't provide
documentation - but your original post suggested that the docs didn't
actually match what Grub did. In that case you should have filed a bug
report. Did you? That's the proper response to finding a bug. You can find
the instructions for filing a bug report here:
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

This is devolving. If you want to continue discussing this why don't we
take it offline so we don't clutter everyone else's mailbox?

Take care,

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier@earthlink.net