Re: Mathematica on Linux

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, M G wrote:

> Have any of you used mathematica for linux?  i use the
> windows version and find it very helpful... but i
> don't want to pay all that money for a linux version
> if i should just continue using it in windows..

Urm...are you going to continue using Windows? If you're
looking to completely move to Linux, I'm fairly sure that
the Linux version of Mathematica has the same feature
set that you're used to. But, the price of Mathematica
is pretty steep - if you're going to continue using Windows
for any other purpose, I'd suggest sticking with the
Windows version. If you want to avoid dual-booting, you'd
be better off spending the money on a VMWare license and
just using Windws in VMWare and the Windows version of
Mathematica.

I played with a review copy of Mathematica, and I felt the
performance and feature-set of the Linux version was fine...
but the price tag is quite steep. As another poster
suggested, you might also want to spend some time looking
at GPL'ed or Open Source software packages that might do
what you want. (It's possible that only Mathematica has
the features you want, though - it's a damn comprehensive
piece of software. I don't know if it's really worth the
horrendous license fee - but it's got everything + the kitchen
sink.)

Good luck,

Zonker
--