Compiling ghostscript 5.50 on woody : HELP !!!

Hello there...

I bought a brand new printer yesterday (HP deskjet 959C), and
I am now trying to install the latest HP drivers (yes they now
provide drivers for linux)...

The problem is that I have to compile ghostscript from source.

Question : does anybody have succeeded in this ? It's a real
pain in the ass ! :-(

Here's what I do :

1. download sources for ghostscript 5.50 from unstable (sid)
and ghostscript site
gnu-gs-5.50jpeg.tar.gz
gnu-gs-5.50libpng.tar.gz
gnu-gs-5.50zlib.tar.gz
gnu-gs-fonts-other-5.50.tar.gz
gnu-gs-fonts-std-5.50.tar.gz
gs_5.50-6.diff.gz
gs_5.50.orig.tar.gz

2. Extract sources and patch them with debian patch (diff file)
in gs/gs5.50

3. Extract additional libs and respect directory hierarchy
gs
¦__libjpeg
¦__gs5.50
	¦__zlib
	¦__libpng
	¦__obj

4. go to gs5.50 directory and make

Result :
make: gdevx.c: Command not found
make: *** [gdevx.o] Error 127

What can I do ??? I already spent one day trying to compile
this piece of s**** :-((

Please help me....

Dominique