Re: Mathematica on Linux

Hi,

I used Mathematica for lInux in 1996 during my Honours program, and then later
in my PhD.

The Student Version is feature complete - but it adds nasty little watermarks to
any printed pages and any wepages you make with it.

The most annoying thing I found was that after I had a disk failure I had to get
a new license key, even though the drive in question had nothing to do with
Mathematica or my data. I guess it's what Windoze users have to look forward to.

You'll want to have a really big monitor to use it most effectively 19"+ at
least,  'cos otherwise the fonts look butt ugly. This was a while ago, so
perhaps using the TTF from Windoze via a local font server would work, I was
using it prior to that being an effective option. And perhaps that's not a
problem anymore.

I also found that whilst the Windoze release pretty much used the whole box, I
could do other things while my programs were running when I used the Linux port
- I was doing ecological sims using big CA designs with multidimensional
lattices, pumping the states through SPSS on a sparc on the LAN, and then
visualizing the results of that back in Mathematica, so I was pushing the poor
thing pretty hard.

Just my experience,

John P Foster