Multiple Network Interfaces per host -- possible?

Dear all,

I installed a second network interface into my host.  The problem that
arises: only the old one gets configured even I included the driver for
the new one into the kernel as well.

The one I had before -- that must remain eth0 -- is a 3COM 3c905B.
The new one is an AMD-79c970-based PCNet LANCE.

In /etc/network/interfaces -- I suppose -- I added analogously to the
one of eth0:

# automatically added when upgrading
  auto eth1
  iface eth1 inet dhcp
    hostname myhost-new

When I launch afterwards /etc/init.d/networking restart:
Reconfiguring network interfaces: eth1: unknown interface: No such
device
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
eth1: unknown interface: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
eth1: unknown interface: No such device
eth1: unknown interface: No such device
done.

And in daemon.log:
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module eth1

So, my simple question once again: what do I have to configure such that
I get my second card up and running ?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Lukas
PS: I searched the mailing archives for eth1 -- but could not find
    anything that helped me.
    Maybe one final issue: I am running 2.4.3 -- which worked perfectly
    until now.
--
Lukas Ruf                        Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
Office: ETZ-G61.2                             Computer Engineering and