Talking with another Terminal

Hello all you brilliant people (buttering up hoping for answers) :-)

I have an application running under Linux.  I would like to be able to send
keystrokes to it as it they were entered on the keyboard that is connected
to that terminal.  OK so a keyboard isn't neccesarily connected but I need
to be able to interect with the program.  The specific keystrokes I want to
send are F1 and F2.  I am unsure of how to code the sequence for those
numbers.  I tried testing with a simple word and this is what I did from
/dev/pts/2 I type echo hello world > /dev/pts/1.  What happens is the text
appears in the window on /dev/pts/1 with the issue of it simply writes to
the screen.  It doesn't appear read from the application running in the
other term.  The application is written in the progress 4GL (a database
language) www.progress.com.

Thanks!

/********************************************************************
* Jim Miller
*
* Analyst/ Programmer                                                    *
* Novoste Corporation                                                      *
* jmiller@novoste.com                                                     *
* (770)810-3219
*
* Round the Firewall,  Out the modem,  Through the router, *
* Down the wire,  NOTHIN BUT NET!!                                 *

"Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, '227, any and all
unsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address
is subject to a download and archival fee in the amount of $500 US.
E-mailing denotes acceptance of these terms."