iptables and domain services...

Hello,

I am trying to set up a firewall on my server and am having trouble with one of my iptables rules.

I can set up all the rules that I like, but I can't seem to get this one to work:

# iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
(or the OUTPUT equivelent)

When I add this to my INPUT chain, and I type: "iptables -L"    It waits for 10 - 15 seconds to display the first rule, then 10 - 15 seconds for the second rule...etc etc etc.  I have a LOT of rules.
When I add this to my OUTPUT (and only the OUTPUT) chain, when I type: "iptables -L"   it displays all my INPUT, and FORWARD rules instantly, but then pauses on the first OUTPUT rule like it does on the INPUT chain.

I have no trouble if I set the policy of the chain in question to ACCEPT, I have no trouble.

Am I missing something?   I NEED to let domain into my box.  What am I doing wrong?

Janet Post
j.post@sparton.ca