Re: making bootable CD from running debian setup

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 11:20:45PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> Couple of points.
>
>   - You're probably interested in the BootDisk HOWTO
>     http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/

i'm off to look. thanky.

>   - There are also HOWTOs covering diskless workstations and such.  I
>     believe it's possible to get x86 hardware to boot and find a kernel
>     via BIOS-activated networking.
>     http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Diskless-HOWTO/

ditto here. :)

>   - Disk is cheap.  Bandwidth still sucks.  System and distro
>     maintenance are both time-consuming and expensive.  The ideal
>     "diskless" client isn't truely diskless, but transparently caches a
>     configuration driven by a configuration served over the network.
>     System data are backed off to network, user data are similarly
>     cached locally only until they can be archived to network.
>
>     A dream to date, but a pleasant one.

i'm thinking of making this a VPN or NAT box only, no user
interaction whatever. surely we don't need lots-o-fancy packages
& such just to forward net packets...

> You'll almost certainly need *some* local storage, even if proxied
> through a RAMdisk.  Note that /var content will tend to need to be
> stored.

i wonder about the system on the debian potato install cd... does
it have or need a /var directory? if not, what's it take to
replicate that kind of setup? what packages need nixing?

> > pointers hither and yon are requested.
>
>      ====-->  Hither

oh good. that clears up a lot. several people were telling me
that hither was east (at least when i read my email on the
monitor behind me)...

--
don't visit this page. it's bad for you. take my expert word for it.
http://www.salon.com/people/col/pagl/2001/03/21/spring/index1.html

will@serensoft.com