making bootable CD from running debian setup

Point me to the faq -- i don't know where to look for it or what
it might be named...

	Objective: to create a bootable CD for a Debian network
	hub-like system that'll have NO hard drive (and probably no
	keyboard or monitor, either). booting from rad-only media
	assures simplicity of recovery in case anything gets borked
	(black hats, misfortune, unintentional changes).

I'm setting up a debian/potato install to fit on a CD rom that
i'd like to have as bootable -- in that i'd like to use the CD
rom as the SOLE non-network device on a no-disk server.

I.e. old pentium box with a cd rom and floppy drive (for variable
settings) but no hard drive, eventually.

Of course, to get there, i'm installing and testing and tweaking
on a hard drive. But the end result should be a bootable CD that
doesn't need a hard drive at all.

I can partition my current drive with a 600mb partition which
would fit on a CD, and get it working -- on hard disk, anyway --
and create an ISO image (mkisofs i presume?) But there's so
much writing to /var and /tmp by ordinary procedures that i
wonder if a read-only boot can work at all! Is there some way to
make a ram disk (as i think the debian rescue/install CD does)
during boot-up from such a CD rom?

and then, once i have an ISO image, can i ftp that to a win or
mac box to burn the cd? i haven't got a burner for my debian
monster yet... :(

so, regarding all these points:
	- what's it take to create a cd image
	- that's bootable
	- from a working hard-drive based system
	- that'll peel off into ramdisk for /var & /tmp writing
	- and that will be able to read (settings) from /dev/fd0
	- perhaps logging remotely, based on those settings
i ask:

how?   <-- such a little question, needing such a big answer :)

pointers hither and yon are requested.

--
don't visit this page. it's bad for you. take my expert word for it.
http://www.salon.com/people/col/pagl/2001/03/21/spring/index1.html

will@serensoft.com