Re: kernel NULL pointer

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 10:23:45PM +0200, David Jardine wrote:
| On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 06:49:53PM -0400, D-Man wrote:
| > Why is it that kaffe didn't work for you?  You might be able to get the
| > jdk for potato from the blackdown people.  I have heard that IBM's jvm
| > is really good.  jikes is a a good and fast compiler -- I use it at
| > work.
|
| I was just too impatient - and ignorant.  I'm very much an amateur
| self-taught 'applet kiddie' programmer, and I don't know my way
| around debian.  I couldn't find any classes for jikes - the
| repository directory was empty and 'find / -name *classes*'
| didn't turn up anything - so I imagined I'd have to go through
| the hassle of downloading something from somewhere and installing
| it myself somehow, which frightened me off.
|
| However, I came across the classes jar quite by chance when looking
| for kaffe documentation.  'Klasses.jar', there it was, nearly a
| MB long, that must be it.  Had I missed something in the manpages
| or was it obvious to a real programmer that it would be there?

It is something that Java programmers must deal with.  A C (and C++)
programmer must deal with libraries and their locations by adding  -L
and -l options to the compiler (linker) to tell it.  Certain things
the compiler assumes by default (ie /lib /usr/lib).

With Java it is the CLASSPATH environment variable or the -classpath
option to the compiler and jvm.  Jikes is just a compiler, so you must
provide the standard library for it.  The standard library will be
found with any jvm, such as kaffe or the jdk.  With the old jdk
(1.1.8) it was classes.zip, and with the new ones (1.2.2 , 1.3.0) it
is rt.jar.  I don't have much experience with kaffe, but I know it
doesn't support AWT (Swing) and doesn't build very well with cygwin (I
have to use a windows workstation at work).  If you work with java for
a while you will become all too familiar with classpath issues :-).
(At least it isn't random segfaults and core dumps ;-))  It should be
mentioned somewhere in tutorials, manpages, or something I think.

| Anyway, it works - and dazzlingly fast compared with jdk.

It is very fast.

| Thanks for your help.

You're welcome.

-D