Re: kernel NULL pointer

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 04:58:22PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 11:37:42PM +0200, David Jardine (jardine@tesionmail.de) wrote:

> > > It's a bug ;-)
> >
> > Don't kid me.  I can bring the stablest of systems crashing
> > round my ears by sheer stupidity.
>
> Meet you and raise you ten.
>
> I'd gone through an extremely frustrating three months last spring with
> 2.2.14 in which sambafs and something else were rendering my system
> unstable -- crashes every 2-14 days, most indicated with "NULL pointer
> dereference".  Turned out to be a known, but obscure, bug.
>
> > Anyway, I'm ashamed to say that I've decided to try potato again.
> > (Ashamed because of the trouble you took to help me, for which
> > many thanks.)
>
> No, no, no.  I'm an arrogant, abuse ass heaping scorn on newbies,
> remember?
>
> > May I ask one more stupid question?  I don't understand the exact
> > connection between kernel versions and distribution versions.
>
> There is none.  Or at least no strong link.
>
> Most Debian distros are released against a set of kernel binaries which
> have been compiled for the distro.  For 2.2 (Potato) this includes
> several flavors of 2.2, and possibly 2.0 and 2.4, kernels.
>
> > I tried to upgrade from slink to potato but found that the one thing I
> > really needed (jdk) had been replaced by something else (jikes and
> > kaffe) that I couldn't get working.  Will I have problems if I try to
> > install the stuff from my slink CDs on my potato system?
>
> You should be able to backtrack packages so long as you don't get
> dependency conflicts.  Don't have the dope on these particular packages
> though.  I'd look into why these aren't working for you (kaffe, jikes).

I did just that and now they're working beautifully.

What a fantastic Easter!  Family away for four days, subscribed to
this list, got lots of help, learnt to compile a kernel, install
sound, discovered lots of new things... A few holidays like that
and I won't call myself a newbie any more - if I don't forget it
all in the meantime.  How long is it till next Easter?

Thanks to all of you.

David