Re: any women here?

Deirdre Saoirse wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, will trillich wrote:
>
> > > Like most places in GNU/Linux land, and IT in general for that
> > > matter, the project (newbiedoc) isn't getting "all the help" that it
> > > needs because: the help of women is lacking.  It's sad to see 1/2
> > > the human race is missing, once again.  There are some women working
> > > on tech. projects here and there, but as we well know, it's male
> > > dominated.
>
> It could be because a lot of women are brushed off, or feel that they are.
> I must confess that sometimes it seems like men have invisible rays with
> which they communicate, because women aren't a part of that hive mind, not
> even women engineers with 25 years experience.
>
> Trust me on this one.

I believe you. I think it would be great to have gender-specificity
be less obvious, less significant, less germane. Particularly in
the linux arena: here, MIND is what matters. Plumbing is irrelevant,
despite the hive mentality.

<stereotype alert>
Probably, it got this way because the geek boys had no confidence in
their dealings with people at large, and so developed severe insecurities;
then, finding computers that predictably do what you tell them to, fell
in love with them, and formed their own acceptable group as a means of
having control over a portion of the universe and being better than other
cliques, at least at something -- whereas girls-at-large had less hangups
to start with, giving them more likelyhood of developing real lives.
</stereotype>

Not that there aren't some men out there with real lives, of course.

:)

Is there an aspect of Debian linux that you've conquered, that
you wish someone had written a quickie intro on? Configuring exim,
mastering mutt, honing emacs, running koffice, playing mp3's? Hmm?

http://newbiedoc.sourceForge.net/ is calling you...

--
mailto:will@serensoft.com
http://www.dontUthink.com/