question about .deb packages

I would like to install a later version of Xchat than
what comes with Potato 2.2r.2.  When I try to install
the xchat-gnome_1.6.4 the maintainer has it depending
on newer libs that what is in Potato.
  Is there a way to open a .deb and modify the
dependencies to what is on Potato?
  I know that I can install the 1.6.4.tar.gz on any
other current distro and do not get all of these
depends. It seem that with debian we are dependent on
what the maintainer wants us to have in order for us
to use updated versions of programs.
Thanks in advance,
Don