Re: domain name: internet vs. intra-net

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 11:15:03PM -0500, will trillich wrote:
> how do you manage the migration?

Somewhat painfully...  Basically, I've set up the firewall to route between
the three internal IP ranges in use and (once I've got the kinks worked out
of that) my plan is to, as each user machine needs to be touched, change its
IP address, add it to the appropriate west/east.company.com zone, and make
its old company.net DNS entry into a CNAME pointed at the new name.

It's kinda ugly, it'll take a good while to complete, but it should work
great once I get the routing to work right.

> i've got
>
> 	/etc/bind/
> 		serensoft
> 		serensoft.rev
> 		lan
> 		lan.rev

Let's see...

In the name server's /etc/bind, I have company.net, company.com,
east.company.com, west.company.com, their corresponding reverse zones (which,
incidentally, I generate automagically using a perl script called
mkrdns-2_0pre2, which I think I found on freshmeat - it makes life much
easier...), and, of course, the standard db.0/127/255/local/root that debian
installs with the package.

> ERROR: "mail.serensoft.com. A 208.33.90.85", but the PTR record for 85.90.33.208.in-addr.arpa. is "ns.serensoft.com."
>         One of the above two records are wrong unless the host is a name server or mail server.
>         To have 2 names for 1 address on any other hosts, replace the A record
>         with a CNAME record:
>         mail.serensoft.com.     IN      CNAME   ns.serensoft.com.

Technically, you're only supposed to have one A record per IP address and
every A should have a corresponding PTR in the reverse zone.  dlint is
complaining because your ns's reverse lookup points to the IP address in
mail's A record.  In theory, if you want multiple names pointing to the same
IP, exactly one of those names should have an A record and all the others
should be CNAMEs pointing to it.  In this case, you would have to do that by
making mail a CNAME to ns (just like the example entry dlint suggested) and
changing all your MX records to point at ns instead of mail.  (IIRC, NS and
MX records are required to point to A records, not CNAMEs.  If you break this
rule, it will still work, but hostmasters the world over will be plagued with
warnings from BIND that say things like

named[2795]: ns_forw: query(10.73.147.206.in-addr.arpa) NS points to CNAME (www.arcc.org:) learnt (CNAME=206.147.75.5:NS=137.192.240.3)

The other way around this, if you have an IP address or two to spare, would
be to set up IP aliasing in your kernel and give the machine a separate IP
address for each service.  Or at least for mail.  Other services can be
easily split apart by just changing the name's DNS entry, but for a mail
server, you have to track down all the MXes pointing at it and change them
also (since they shouldn't point to CNAMEs).

> WARNING: the zone serensoft.com. has an A record but no reverse PTR record.  This is probably OK.

Like it says, that's probably OK.  Unless you want to have an IP address with
a null hostname in your domain, this is inevitable.  And null hostnames
are rare enough that I don't know why dlint would bother to complain about
this.

> and i'd like
> 	208.33.90.85 to be serensoft.com eth1, visible everywhere (as
> 		it already is)
> 	192.168.1.100 to be mac.serensoft.com
> 		but invisible to the outside net, and
> 		it should be able to ping win.serensoft.com
> 	192.168.1.200 would be win.serensoft.com
> 		which is not visible to the outwise world
> 	192.168.1.1 to be server.serensoft.com eth0, internal-lan only

Like Patrick suggested, you'll pretty well need to run dual name services.
AFAICT, there isn't any way to tell BIND to resolve a name only for eth0, but
not for eth1.  ISTR that some lesser-known DNS server(s?) has this ability,
but that's all I could tell you about it.

Using serensoft.com externally and foo.serensoft.com internally complicates
things a little, too.  Unless I'm mistaken, it means that you'll have to
maintain two independent zone files (one containing only serensoft.com's
external address and one with everything), but I'd say you probably want
to do that anyhow so that, for the internal machines, serensoft.com resolves
to that machine's internal address instead of its external address.

> how to i separate the internal/private 'no-update' addresses from
> the public 'update'-able addresses, in bind/dns?

What do you mean by "update"?

--
That's not gibberish...  It's Linux. - Byers, The Lone Gunmen
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d? s+: a- C++ UL++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+