Re: water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink.

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 06:28:04PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> I wrote:
> > How is information destroyed by being replicated many times?
>
> will trillich writes:
> > it's not. the RESOURCE will dry up.
>
> > if everybody takes and nobody gives.
>
> > imagine the debian team -- their time spent, unappreciated, unrewarded,
> > unrecognized. they'd go elsewhere (or at least underground) without a
> > community based on 'produce more than you consume'.
>
> You are creating a false dichotomy.  It doesn't matter how many people
> don't contribute.  It only matters how many _do_.  Which would you rather
> have: a billion users and a million contributors, or a thousand users and a
> hundred contributors?

good catch. grammar, semantics, vocabulary. sloppily used, begets
slopy thought. <sarcasm=none>nice job -- i stand corrected!</>

that was my intended point, but i mis-worded it.

> > with linux, currency is 'and i helped'. with microso~1, currency is
> > 'reduce your bank account'. remove the currency from the market, and the
> > market -- not the products, but the market -- shrivels and dies.
>
> Markets are about scarcity.  There is no scarcity of copies of free
> software.  Each additional user of pppconfig costs me absolutely _nothing_.

and each additional contributor enriches you (me, us) unmeasurably.

--
don't visit this page. it's bad for you. take my expert word for it.
http://www.salon.com/people/col/pagl/2001/03/21/spring/index1.html

will@serensoft.com