Re: water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink.

will trillich writes:
> it's not. the RESOURCE will dry up.

> if everybody takes and nobody gives.

> imagine the debian team -- their time spent, unappreciated, unrewarded,
> unrecognized. they'd go elsewhere (or at least underground) without a
> community based on 'produce more than you consume'.

You are creating a false dichotomy.  It doesn't matter how many people
don't contribute.  It only matters how many _do_.  Which would you rather
have: a billion users and a million contributors, or a thousand users and a
hundred contributors?

> with linux, currency is 'and i helped'. with microso~1, currency is
> 'reduce your bank account'. remove the currency from the market, and the
> market -- not the products, but the market -- shrivels and dies.

Markets are about scarcity.  There is no scarcity of copies of free
software.  Each additional user of pppconfig costs me absolutely _nothing_.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org