Modem prices (was Re: sigh...big problems if anyone has time to help me out...)

on Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 11:31:09PM -0400, D-Man (dsh8290@rit.edu) wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 06:11:14PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> | on Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 05:45:28PM -0700, GPswyft (gpswyft@yahoo.com) wrote:
> |
> | > I install linux from the floppies.
> |
> | Which version?  I'm going to assume Debian GNU/Linux 2.1, "Potato".
>
> I assume that's a typo and you meant "2.2", not "2.1".

Wups.  Yep.

I usually refer by name, not number, anyway.

> | For starters, you have to find out whether or not you've got a WinModem.
> | If so, your best bet is to buy an external modem for about $100.  Most
> | of the stuff that's GNU/Linux-compatible is now labled as such.
>
> $100 sounds rather high to me.  I haven't actually bought a modem, all
> the ones I have were given to me.  If you want I can send you a
> 14.4Kb/s external US Robotics modem.  The only cost will be shipping.
> Otherwise you can probably find a used parts shop around and get one
> there.

I picked up my last internal for about $80 or so.  Externals are more
expensive.  Winmodems tend to run half the cost or less -- I've seen
them as low as $25 or so.  Don't be fooled.