Re: The Heart Is An Open Source: A Romance

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Damon Muller wrote:
> > <blantant troll>
> > Although a real man would have been running qmail and courier-imap...
> > </blantant troll>

Bleh, qmail? Try postfix for something with a sane license and a sane
upstream, no obnoxious install paths, and easily as secure as qmail.

> qmail on the other hand, I've only seen used on Linux and FreeBSD.  Also I
> don't quite get the point of maildirs.  Yes they're supposed to be

Well, if you ever need to do something as suicidal as delivering mail over
NFS, Maildirs come in quite handy.

> are the annoying license restrictions.  One of these days I'll take a good
> look at postfix, it seems to be as secure and well-designed but plays more
> nicely with others than qmail.  Exim, for some reason I've always thought
> of as a toy.  But my information is probably years out of date.

Despite appearances, Exim is not a toy; it works and it works well. But it's
not nearly as nice and safe as Postfix... unless you need to do insane
amounts of header rewriting, that is.

  Henrique Holschuh