Re: lm_sensors and ABit KT7A

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Damon Muller wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I recently upgraded up system from a K6-2 350, to a K7 900, running on
> an ABit KT7A Motherboard. This is all well and good and works fine and
> is very stable...
>
> Anyway, I was reading recently about using lm_sensors to display things
> like the CPU temperature and stuff. So I decided to go and download it
> and install it when I installed my new kernel (2.4.3-ac7).
>
> As far as I can tell, I've installed all the right things into the
> kernel (all compiled in, rathen than as modules)
>
> [rei:~]% grep I2C /usr/src/linux/.config|grep -v ^#
> CONFIG_I2C=y
> CONFIG_I2C_ALGOBIT=y
> CONFIG_I2C_ALGOPCF=y
> CONFIG_I2C_MAINBOARD=y
> CONFIG_I2C_VIA=y
> CONFIG_I2C_VIAPRO=y
> CONFIG_I2C_ISA=y
> CONFIG_I2C_CHARDEV=m
> [rei:~]% grep SENSORS /usr/src/linux/.config|grep -v ^#
> CONFIG_SENSORS=y
> CONFIG_SENSORS_VIA686A=y
> CONFIG_SENSORS_OTHER=y
>
> It looks like the kernel is happy enough that it's seeing the sensors
> (or something):
>
> [rei:~]% cat /proc/bus/i2c
> i2c-0   smbus           SMBus vt82c596 adapter at 5000          Non-I2C
> SMBus adapter
> i2c-1   dummy           ISA main adapter                        ISA bus
> algorith
>
> I downloaded and compiled the source (lm_sensors-2.5.5.tar.gz), and that
> seemed to go okay. And /usr/local/sbin/sensors-detect is pretty happy
> about telling me I have it all set up correctly.
>
> However, when it doesn't seem to work:
>
> [rei:~]% sensors -s
> No sensors found!
>
> I'm pretty sure I've read everything that came with the package - I'm
> sure I have missed something small.
>
> Does anyone with a similar configuration to me have it working? Would
> you care to share any insights?
>
> cheers,
>
> damon
>

> --
> Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
> Criminologist/Linux Geek  | As my head fell in the basket,
> http://killfilter.com     | And was everybody dancing on the casket...
> PGP (GnuPG): A136E829     |                      - TBMG, "Dead"
>

> --

I did the following to get it to work (someone else told me this):
apt-get install lm-sensors
apt-get install lm-sensors-source
cd /usr/src/modules/lm-sensors
make
make install
depmod -a
[add /usr/local/lib to ld.so.conf and run ldconfig]
prog/mkdev/mkdev.sh
sensors-detect
[add lines to /etc/modutils/local <the program tells you what>]
sensors -s

sensors -s gives me some output, displaying what I have, so that fixes the
last part of your problem.  I just did this last night, so I haven't
played with it much.  =)

Good luck,

Eric

*Eric Sandall			ICQ: 667348
*email: sandalle@mail.wsu.edu	web: http://jet.homeip.net

/* Everything after this line has been added by $hitos... */