ftp security question

I have disabled anon. login for ftp.  When I try to log into ftp using the
username ftp it says guest ok. But it will deny the user.  My question is
how do I disable this?  There is no ftp user in /etc/shadow  /etc/passwd.
The only user named ftp is /etc/ftpusers which is the file that lists people
who are disabled.  I take ftp out of this file and I still get the same
thing.  guest login ok but I cannot actually login.  How do I remedy this?

Rob