Help! can't boot after upgrade

ok, i did a very silly thing and now I need some help to avoid having to re-install

I've got an old 486 in the office that does a lot of usefull test work for me as well as running a moderatly busy slashlike local community site.

When it was first installed it had error sqwawks about the boot sector but the boot disk worked and the thing chugs along without a hitch (current uptime = 105 days since, i believe i upgraded the kernel to 2.2.18pre21) when it has had to be rebooted it booted off the floppy and all was well.

last time I upgraded the kernel with:

"apt-get install kernel-package************"

it gave me trouble but the old boot floppy worked.

this time i forgot to take the boot floppy out when the 2.2.19 kernel was being installed and I asked it to make a boot floppy.

so it part-formatted the old, good boot floppy and then spat out the following error:

 Verifying cylinder 78, head 1 read: Input/output error
 Verifying cylinder 79, head 1
mformat -s18 -t80 -h2 -S2 -M512  a:
sh: mformat: command not found

warning: mformat error

1955+1 records in
1955+1 records out

then it went to do LILO which has never worked on this machine:

You already have a LILO configuration in /etc/lilo.conf
Install a boot block using the existing /etc/lilo.conf? [Yes]
Testing lilo.conf ...
There was an error with running lilo in test mode, a log is
available in /var/log/lilo_log.5577. Please edit /etc/lilo.conf
manually and re-run lilo, or make other arrangements to boot
your machine.
         Please hit return to continue

so i tried to run mkboot and got the following message:

walrus:/home/john# mkboot
Error: Can't read /boot/vmlinuz.

which means as far as i can tell that next time this machine goes down its not going to come back up.

can anyone help?

contents of /etc/lilo.conf is:

boot=/dev/hda1
root=/dev/hda1