Re: newbie - how do I install a driver for my network adapter

Hey henrik

first, try ifconfig.  look for eth0 - this is your ethernet card.

if you see it there, but net access still isnt working, then your system
is seeing the hardware, but it just isnt set up correctly.

some quick fixes that might work-

ifup -a

or

pump

else, look in /etc/network/interfaces and check if everything is set up
right.  read man interfaces to get a jist of the syntax and such.

if you dont see eth0 when you run ifconfig, then the system does not
know about hte hardware yet.

the biggest issue here is whether your card is ISA or PCI.

if ISA, run apt-cache search isapnp and install everything that comes
up.

try the man pages for isapnp, isapnp.conf, modutils, and update-modules.
Basically, debian has a special way of managing etc/modules.conf - it
generates it from multilpe files contained in /etc/modutils.  After you
update the config files in modutils, you need to run update-modules to
generate a new modules.conf.

I havent dealt much with PCI stuff, largely because I havent had any
problems.

however, something you might try is this:

first, find out what module your card uses

now run lsmod
do you see that module listed?
if not, run insmod modulename
and then run ifup -a and pump.  if you are lucky, you will be in
business.