newbie - how do I install a driver for my network adapter

Hi,
I´ve spent the entire evening looking for instructions on how to make a
network adapter work, but I didn´t find the info i needed, so I subscribed
to this list in hope of getting some qualified help :-)

I installed Debian 2.2 using the "simple" method, and I was never asked
about configuring the network at all...

So I tried pinging 127.0.0.1 - that worked allright, but pinging anything
else outside the computer failed.

I found a command (something like "configure eth0 192.168.1.n netmask
255.255.255.0 up") for configuring the card, but I was informed that the
adapter did not exist.

What do I do? How do I probe for hardware? How do I 'make it work'?

Thx in advance for any help!
/Henrik
--
 - Stay in the rhythm!