Re: X-server

On Monday 16 April 2001 17:15, Peter Millard wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I have got Debian 2.2r2 Which I have been trying to get it installed which
> I have got it installed in text mode but it refuses to get it installed the
> X11 going any ideas my card is a SiS6326 and my Monitor is a Samsung
> SyncMaster 550b.

This card has caused trouble to a lot of people (including me) and you'll
find quite a few threads about it in the archive of this mailing list.

> Sis6326 8MB card
> I put in 8192kb in the memory  question

Somewhere (I think http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/) I read X can only use 4 MB
from this card. You'll also find other useful information there.

> I would be most grateful for this as I would like to drop my suse linux and
> use the DEBIAN full time

If you have X working in Suse and if it's the same X version you can use the
XF86Config file from Suse in Debian and it should work.

> P.S. Perhaps some got tell me a step by step guide on this xf86config
man XF86Config

If this does not help and you're trying to get 3.3.6. working, try 4.0.x
instead. I have this card working with 4.0.1, but only with 16 bit color
depth. If 24 bit does not work put in
defaultcolordepth 16