sound?

I changed the permissions, added user to group audio, et al.
Now, when I use 'play <file.wav>' command, the file is played perfectly.
But 'mpg123 <file.mp3>' says no sample rate found, and gmix says no mixer
found. When i do 'cat <file.mp3> > /dev/dsp or /dev/audio', the speakers give
a "korrrrrrrrrr" sound and nothing more.
    THe thing is, wav files play with 'play' command, while mp3 files couldn't
be played. Help.

Another query: When I startx, X comes up, then after a few seconds window
maker comes up, then after several seconds of no disk activity, gnome panel
pops up. Why is it that gnome is taking so much time?

--

Regards,

| V Suresh                           |ILUG-Madurai Co-ordinator         |
| Mail - sureshv@softhome.net        |                                  |
| URL  - www16.brinkster.com/vsuresh |Mail-linux-madurai@yahoogroups.com|